The following list is based on things I’ve learned, enjoyed or wished I had done during my time as a USF student.
1. Get published in a school publication (the Foghorn, for example).
2. Lead a renegade water aerobics class in the Koret pool.
3. Lead a renegade water aerobics class in the Gleeson library water feature.
4. Try to sneak into a Fromm Institute class (they’re the best!).
5. Prepare a meal using something grown in the Lone Mountain garden – I hear the chard is top notch.
6. Realize the impossibility of getting anything done in the dorms and discover a new place to study (hint: Law Library South, if you can get a seat by the window, has a lovely view of UCSF and Ashbury Heights).
7. Wander through Golden Gate Park in autumn. Wander the same path again in the spring and observe the subtle changes in the plants and the people around you. Yes, we do have seasons!
8. Teach your professors something they didn’t know. We’re all students.
9. Try a new cuisine with someone who knows and loves it.
10. Make your way home through a new neighborhood and marvel at all the Christmas trees/political propaganda/cats, etc. in the windows.
11. Try to harmonize with the kid who always sings in the shower next to you in the dorms.
12. Get on a Muni bus with no particular place to go; get off the bus to explore something that grabs your attention.
13. Try out a new style. Go on, let your inner freak fly!
14. Release a few bouncy balls down the Lone Mountain steps on a Tuesday morning – perhaps a few on each side. Which will get to the bottom first?? Choose that side next time you’re late for class.
15. Pull an all-nighter (for work or play) with a sympathetic party and get breakfast together the next morning – something greasy from the Squat & Gobble or Pork Store on Haight St.
16. Question your sexuality.
17. Question your religious beliefs.
18. Visit a farmer’s market. Because of the local farmers and their amazing variety of produce, the Bay Area is truly a culinary playground. The Ferry Building is a fun place for curious gourmands to get their feet wet.
19. Date your friend’s ex’s ex (USF Undergraduate Population: 5,477).
20. Protest something in front of city hall. Celebrate something over Mitchell’s ice cream (try the lucuma or macapuno).
21. Declare a major and then declare a different one a year later. Choose something that truly suits you.
22. Get a fun part-time job (magician’s assistant, surf instructor, barista at a local café, whatever).
23. See an older band (like Blondie) at the Fillmore; see your friend’s band in his/her living room. All good music starts somewhere.
24. Take a mental health day when you need one. Before you became a student you were a human with human needs and weaknesses. Take care of yourself!
25. Be curious.